Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for suggestions for Napa/Sonoma Wineries to Visit

We are going to be heading out to Napa in July w/ close friends who are also into food and wine. It has been too long since I've been out there (I'm embarrassed to admit) so would appreciate any winery suggestions for tastings.

Thanks so much!

Re: Looking for suggestions for Napa/Sonoma Wineries to Visit

If you want the basics, old line places like Beringer, Montelena, Phelps, Ch. St Jean and Mondavi have good tours, are set up for visitors without much issue and some of them (Beringer's old cellars) are very scenic.

If you want more elusive places, the list is endless. Getting into some places may be a chore, but there are a lot of rewarding visits at less structured, smaller wineries like Seavey.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Squires
      If you want the basics, old line places like Beringer, Montelena, Phelps, Ch. St Jean and Mondavi have good tours, are set up for visitors without much issue and some of them (Beringer's old cellars) are very scenic.

If you want more elusive places, the list is endless. Getting into some places may be a chore, but there are a lot of rewarding visits at less structured, smaller wineries like Seavey.
      Thanks-looking for more of the elusive places . . .

Comment

Keep in mind you need to call and check policies, make appointments as places get smaller, not that these are all holes in the wall, but just as a general note. I haven't been to all of these, but I think they'd all be interesting.

Dehlinger
        Iron Horse
        Kalin
        Madrigal (love their Petite Sirah...nice people)
        Switchback (since we're on that theme...)
        Outpost
        Von Strasser
        Don't forget Seavey

Comment

My wife and I are going in a month. There's a thread below with some ideas http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/...d.php?t=238209

Would love to see the itinerary you finally put together

Comment

Hi Randall,
            Welcome to the board, and you too Mike. Yes check out Mike's thread.

I would also suggest checking out other threads on this topic. They usually come up every month or so.

When I first paid Napa a visit I really enjoyed Berlinger, prager for California style ports, V suttui for tasting and lunch, and St. Supery, Goosecross, Frog's Leap, Stag's Leap, Clos Pegase, silver oak, nickel &nickel, BV, and others that were on the main trail.

For off the beaten path I enjoyed Lewelling, Trespass, Outpost, Neal, Summit lake, white cottage, russel bevans

I would highly recommend planning an itinerary ahead of time and calling ahead for appointments, and or tours.

Comment

Shafer for old, Lou Kascandy for the new, Napa classics, but you must phone ahead.
              The newbie Round Pound has the greatest late afternoon west facing patio Napa view I have found there in the last 2 years. Further north, Ehlers Estate offers personal hospitality and lucious wines, at a site unchanged for what seems to me for 25 years, to give a pre overhyped era Napa feeling.
              Sonoma, you gotta visit Martinelli on West River Road, for an efficint use of your time.

Comment

Mike- thanks for the the thread link. My wife and I are probably going out there for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2 years. Haven't been there since 2000, so looking forward to it. My wine experiences/tastes have changed immensely in that time!

Comment

We should have a whole section of eBob for this topic!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Neustrom
                    Mike- thanks for the the thread link. My wife and I are probably going out there for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2 years. Haven't been there since 2000, so looking forward to it. My wine experiences/tastes have changed immensely in that time!
                    Hope you have a great time. This trip is for our 20th anniversary.

Comment

Tons to choose from but I will add Failla to the list. Great pinots and chards which is a nice change of pace from the usual napa cab tastings. We went in July and tasted outside, riedel glasses in hand under the shade of a huge oak tree. $10 fee which is waived with any purchase. Need to book a week in advance. The house is an old hunting lodge.

Clif Lede is another great spot. No appt needed. Beautiful grounds, art gallery and great wine. They also own and taste Breggo out of the same tasting room which is Anderson valley pinot, and a couple of whites.

Pride is great as well. Need an appt and tell them to reserve a picnic table for lunch (which you need to bring). Brilliants views, great wine.

Comment

Sorry about my spelling. Autocorrect on the IPad makes this difficult sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Byham
                          Sorry about my spelling. Autocorrect on the IPad makes this difficult sometimes.
                          Ditto on droid. Can't live with it---sometimes does amazing things. Must...Learn....to....proofread! Or use voice dictation (proofing also required).

Comment

To all,
                            As you make your way north from SFO- I would highly suggest stopping at JC Cellars in Alemeda(just off highway). If you are going west to Sonoma try to visit Sojourn and Bevan Cellars. If you enter Napa from the south I would highly suggest a visit to Robert Biale, Buccella and Keever. In St Helena, check out 750 wines and look for Realm, Myriad, Keplinger, Carte Blanche, VHR,Fairchild and Continuum. Many may be hard locate- but Monica at 750 can help. As you travel north on 29 stop at Madrigal and Vineyard 29 and end up on Spring Mtn at Vineyard 7&8, Barnett, Sherwin Family and Erna Schein

Enjoy, Howard
                            “Doctor says to a man, ‘You’re pregnant!’ The man says, ‘How does a man get pregnant?’ The doctor says, ‘The usual way, a little wine, a little dinner….’”

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Greenfield
                              To all,
                              As you make your way north from SFO- I would highly suggest stopping at JC Cellars in Alemeda(just off highway). If you are going west to Sonoma try to visit Sojourn and Bevan Cellars. If you enter Napa from the south I would highly suggest a visit to Robert Biale, Buccella and Keever. In St Helena, check out 750 wines and look for Realm, Myriad, Keplinger, Carte Blanche, VHR,Fairchild and Continuum. Many may be hard locate- but Monica at 750 can help. As you travel north on 29 stop at Madrigal and Vineyard 29 and end up on Spring Mtn at Vineyard 7&8, Barnett, Sherwin Family and Erna Schein

Enjoy, Howard
                              Howard helped me a LOT on my visit, sound advice from a man who knows what he is talking about...
                              WOTY 2011 - 2008 Seven Stones - drinking it was an epiphany..
                              WOTY 2012 - 2007 Saxum James Berry Vnyd - I can see why it got 100 pts and WOTY by WS.
                              WOTY 2013 - so far 06 Saxum Broken Stones ( thank you John )

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
                              Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
                              No new posts No new posts  
                              Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
                              Working...
                              X