Mark Squires' Bulletin Board on RobertParker.com
Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for day trip to Chianti?

Hi - I'm spending a few days in Florence later this month and would appreciate it if anyone has any recommendations for what to see or do on a day trip to Chianti. Perhaps a couple of wineries, a great restaurant for lunch, and bit of sightseeing?

In looking through the archives here, Castello Brolio and Castello di Monsanto appear to be highly recommended.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Re: Recommendations for day trip to Chianti?

You're going to be killing yourself making a day trip--the region is so scenic, there is so much to do, so many wineries, not only Chianti but nearby appellations, things in the area like the village of Montalcino is nearby and it probably wouldn't be hard to add a Brunello producer. For that matter, Siena, Firenze is not far either. Everything is in reach--the problem is the words "day trip." That will require some serious culling.

Who do you like? Call in advance for an appointment. There are a ton of good producers. Here's one thread that is active---good place; I had a good visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Squires
      You're going to be killing yourself making a day trip--the region is so scenic, there is so much to do, so many wineries, not only Chianti but nearby appellations, things in the area like the village of Montalcino is nearby and it probably wouldn't be hard to add a Brunello producer. For that matter, Siena, Firenze is not far either. Everything is in reach--the problem is the words "day trip." That will require some serious culling.

Who do you like? Call in advance for an appointment. There are a ton of good producers. Here's one thread that is active---good place; I had a good visit.
      Mark - much appreciated! The tentative plan is to leave Florence early in the morning, make the drive directly to Siena, do a bit of sightseeing and perhaps catch brunch/lunch there as well. Then, given your recommendation and the time limitations, I'm thinking of heading over in the afternoon to Rocca di Montegrossi and then to Castello Brolio (these 2 appear to be very close on the map - certainly closer than heading over to Monsanto).

Do you have any personal favorites for restaurants in that region? I'd appreciate any leads you may have.

Comment

There are a couple of good threads in the Food and Wine forum:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/...d.php?t=238049

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/...d.php?t=238081

Comment

Not sure if they are open for lunch but this place is worth a try. The owner is Andrea Cortones. He also owns Uccelliera and makes very good Brunello.

http://www.casato-siena.it/
          If I had my way, I'd have all of you shot. In the flesh(II) Pink Floyd

Comment

V- we had a very nice visit to Verrazano in Chianti. The wines were pretty good, but the lunch with Gino was a memorable experience. Well worth a visit. In Siena I would also suggest a visit to Pizzicheria De Miccoli- a cheese, meat and bakery shop with an exquisite selection and wonderful staff. We spent Christmas Eve 2010 in their shop and ate and drank everything in site for 3hours. The bill- Merry Christmas!
            “Doctor says to a man, ‘You’re pregnant!’ The man says, ‘How does a man get pregnant?’ The doctor says, ‘The usual way, a little wine, a little dinner….’”

Comment

I would check this one out:
              www.mazzei.it/eng_154/
              www.fonterutoli.com
              Between Florence and Siena
              Giuseppe Ciardi
              DISCLOSURE: I am a wine consumer, I like to drink well and get good value for money. I like Bordeaux because it is the only region I know a little bit of. I love good wine and I like to share it with friends. I buy retail from merchants, en primeur as well as mature stock. I found myself in an unpredictable situation when the prices shot up. So, now I try to buy 2 cases to drink one and sell the other at a premium later to lower my cost of drinking.

Comment

Castello di Ama. One of the most beautiful places on earth!

Comment

Originally posted by V. Aguilar II
                  Mark - much appreciated! The tentative plan is to leave Florence early in the morning, make the drive directly to Siena, do a bit of sightseeing and perhaps catch brunch/lunch there as well. Then, given your recommendation and the time limitations, I'm thinking of heading over in the afternoon to Rocca di Montegrossi and then to Castello Brolio (these 2 appear to be very close on the map - certainly closer than heading over to Monsanto).

Do you have any personal favorites for restaurants in that region? I'd appreciate any leads you may have.
                  Here is my suggestion. As you planned, leave Florence early and drive direct to Siena via the Si-Fi autostrada. ~ 1 hr. drive from the Certosa exit off A1. Get off on the Siena Ovest exit were it turns into SS73 back across the highway. There are several public parking areas on the north side and below the old city walls near the big escalators. The San Francesa parking lot is closest to the escalators. Easy access into city center (Piazza Campo & Duomo).

When you are done walking around Siena go back down and get on SS222 which is the Strada Chiantigiana toward Castellina. You can follow this road all the way back to Florence. You will pass through Quercegrossa, Castellina, Fonterutoli, Panzano, Greve and back to Florence via the heart of the Chianti Classico area. Many, many great wineries along the way. My 2 centavos.
                  White wines matter

Comment

Originally posted by Gary York
                    Not sure if they are open for lunch but this place is worth a try. The owner is Andrea Cortones. He also owns Uccelliera and makes very good Brunello.

http://www.casato-siena.it/
                    Gary - thank you! Wish I had a bit more time to explore Siena and the surrounding area.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Greenfield
                      V- we had a very nice visit to Verrazano in Chianti. The wines were pretty good, but the lunch with Gino was a memorable experience. Well worth a visit. In Siena I would also suggest a visit to Pizzicheria De Miccoli- a cheese, meat and bakery shop with an exquisite selection and wonderful staff. We spent Christmas Eve 2010 in their shop and ate and drank everything in site for 3hours. The bill- Merry Christmas!
                      Howard - now if I only had a few more days to explore the area, this would certainly be on my list. Perhaps next time. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by kelly w a l k e r
                        Here is my suggestion. As you planned, leave Florence early and drive direct to Siena via the Si-Fi autostrada. ~ 1 hr. drive from the Certosa exit off A1. Get off on the Siena Ovest exit were it turns into SS73 back across the highway. There are several public parking areas on the north side and below the old city walls near the big escalators. The San Francesa parking lot is closest to the escalators. Easy access into city center (Piazza Campo & Duomo).

When you are done walking around Siena go back down and get on SS222 which is the Strada Chiantigiana toward Castellina. You can follow this road all the way back to Florence. You will pass through Quercegrossa, Castellina, Fonterutoli, Panzano, Greve and back to Florence via the heart of the Chianti Classico area. Many, many great wineries along the way. My 2 centavos.
                        Kelly - this is kind of what I had in mind. But I'm afraid to go hopping from winery to winery...given my relative capacity for holding alcohol, I'd rather get a focused experience with one or two of them, as opposed to visiting several wineries and coming away with hazy memories of the experience.

In any case, thank you for the feedback. Will try to post some pics and notes once I'm there...

Comment

Do what Kelly said and stop at Fonterutoli, if you do one stop only. It's an experience you won't forget. A wonderful little medieval village. Great wines.
                          Giuseppe Ciardi
                          DISCLOSURE: I am a wine consumer, I like to drink well and get good value for money. I like Bordeaux because it is the only region I know a little bit of. I love good wine and I like to share it with friends. I buy retail from merchants, en primeur as well as mature stock. I found myself in an unpredictable situation when the prices shot up. So, now I try to buy 2 cases to drink one and sell the other at a premium later to lower my cost of drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Giuseppe Ciardi
                            Do what Kelly said and stop at Fonterutoli, if you do one stop only. It's an experience you won't forget. A wonderful little medieval village. Great wines.
                            Thanks, Giuseppe. After further review, I think you and Kelly are right. Will try to book a tour and tasting at 3 pm at Fonterutoli, followed by a 6 pm tasting at Rocca di Montegrossi (if they allow a tasting that late).

Comment

The owner of Fonterutoli is Filippo Mazzei, very old Florentine family. Tell the people who do the booking that an old friend of Filippo called Giuseppe Ciardi recommended you to visit Fonterutoli and that you would love to have the opportunity to say hello and do a wine tasting.
                              Giuseppe Ciardi

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
                              Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
                              No new posts No new posts  
                              Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
                              Working...
                              X