Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Hotels

At the end of the month my Mrs is going to book our trip to New York city. We are arriving November 1 and have various hotel options available to us through the airline booking.

Some options are the Essex House, the Dylan, the Grand Hyatt and numerous others. Does anyone have a favorite? We want to be close to the action and want to walk everywhere we go. We are good for about 50 blocks a day or more.

Important to us is a clean upscale washroom, and nice bed, sheets and a sitting area. The lobby, restaurant and other things are not that important. A good gym would be cool too. I love getting HUGE.
    David J. Cooper

Re: New York Hotels

Looks like the Sofitel is the new #1 contender.
    David J. Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by David J. Cooper
      Looks like the Sofitel is the new #1 contender.
      Great maid service there I hear.

Comment

Hey David, Sofitel hotels are generally very well run and comfortable. I love the one in DC, which is just across from our office, but have not stayed in the one in NYC. I am sure you would enjoy it. The Grand Hyatt is a convention hotel and at the opposite end of the spectrum. It is huge, impersonal, and industrial (I am not a fan, can you tell?). Never stayed at the Dylan or the Essex, so I can't offer an opinion, but the Essex is a very old hotel, and I would check to see when it was last refreshed. I also have enjoyed stays at the Parker Meridian -- a nice, European style hotel that gets overlooked sometimes and is not preposterously expensive.

We have stayed all over Manhattan, and I can't say that I have a must-stay favorite. If money is no object, the Four Seasons, the St Regis, and the Mandarin are all exceptional. Based on your criteria, I strongly suggest you see what you can find at The London, which I really like a lot too.

http://www.thelondonnyc.com/

Small, extremely well furnished (great beds!), fine service and the (all-suite) rooms are reasonably priced (for NYC) and far more spacious than the average NY room. As you say, if you are staying for a few days, it is always nice to have a sitting/living area in addition to the bedroom.

Oh, and I know the restaurant is not a key factor, but Gordon Ramsey's restaurant is the hotel restaurant and the Carnegie is a block away for a little corned beef and pastrami fix!
        A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Comment

The sofitel is fine, central mid town location, nice bar, and you can have a drink next door at the Algonquin. If you want to be bored to death, the Surrey on the UES is fine. The Essex House is run by Jumeriah and has mostly been redone; stayed there recently. The Pierre is a possibility for you. The Mandarin is hard to beat.
          "This is the bitterest pain to human beings, to know much and control nothing."
          - Herodotus

Comment

We have stayed at the Muse the last few times we were in New York.The location is great.
            We love the Premier suite balcony room which comes with a terrace , table and chairs, and sun lounges.
            http://www.themusehotel.com/
            This company has given me better NY hotel rates at several hotels than I have found elsewhere.
            http://www.newyorkcityluxuryhotels.com/

Comment

I have really liked staying at the London. Great rooms, good location, good service.

I am also quite partial to the Plaza Athenee. Just a wonderful first class hotel, yet also intimate. Location is superb too.
              Kevin Kelley

Comment

Despite Dom Strauss-Kahns poor review on Tripadvisor, we booked the Sofitel.
                David J. Cooper

Comment

Another vote for The Muse. It's a Kimpton hotel, tracked down from stays at several Kimpton hotels in the Bay Area.

We stayed at The Muse at the end of February - easy walking distance to theatres, restaurants, shopping,etc.

Hank

Comment

Big fan of Kimpton. Stayed at Ink48 a couple of times. Some people complain about the location. No complaints from this new yorker. Amazing night view of the city.

I stayed at the Essex House in a closet that they called a room. Pass

Keep an eye on jetsetter.com flash sales
                    jordan whitehead

www.annaswish.org

Comment

Stayed last week at the London. Very very nice hotel. Spectacular view of Central Park, convenient location.
                      A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Comment

Originally posted by Neal.Mollen
                        Stayed last week at the London. Very very nice hotel. Spectacular view of Central Park, convenient location.
                        I stayed there a couple summers ago and would agree...given that the cost of a suite was the same or less than pretty much any alternative that we had, it was also an excellent deal.

Comment

Stay away from the Grand Hyatt -- very cramped rooms. Among major chains the Westin in Times Square and the Hilton on Ave of the Americas (51st or 52nd St.) are solid choices. My wife and I stayed at the Affinia Dumont in Murray Hill a few years ago -- a bit away from the action but nice rooms and solid service ....
                          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." Yogi Berra

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
                          Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
                          No new posts No new posts  
                          Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
                          Working...
                          X