Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neal,

Interested in your experience with the 1966 vintage in BDX and Burg. Any standout wines that you have tasted in the past few years? Cheers
    Haskell Vineyards, Stellenbosch

Re: 1966

Grant,
    I have much more experience with Bordeaux than Burgundy. The Bordeaux are very classic, tannic, masculine wines that for me, excelled on the Left Bank and especially the Northern Medoc: Latour most certainly, Montrose and Cos d'Estournel come immediately to mind. As you go down the hierarchy the wines can become too austere nowadays so you have to be careful, but it is always a vintage I look forward to. And it is never mentioned, but a '66 is more likely to have had "one careful owner" unlike '61 that have been traded for years.

My experience with Burgundy is much less, as I am sure it would be with most people, but what I have tasted has held up well over the years. Of course, back then there were still few domaines that actually bottled the wines themselves.

B rgds
    Neal

Comment

....but a '66 is more likely to have had "one careful owner" unlike '61 that have been traded for years

Hate to say it but add 'less likely to have been forged' , too.

Any experience with '66 port? The notes on ERP seem to suggest it wasn't a standout year.

Comment

Yes I have, but not for a little while. I really like the '66 Ports and in fact, I read somewhere the other day that Roy Hersh rates them above 1963. I will try to retaste them later this year.
        Rgds
        Neal

Comment

1966 Ducru Beaucaillou was lovely a year ago - all medicine cabinet and graphite, an interesting wine; much more austere-styled than the 1961 or 1970.

From the relatively warm cellar at my college in Oxford, the 1966 ports show signs of out-lasting many of the 1963s... some of 1963s (e.g. Graham, Warre) have noticeably begun to tire since 2008 when I started tasting them pretty often.

Comment

...although looking up your notes I see you've not had a good experience with '66 Ducru, Neal!

Comment

I had a 1966 wine dinner one night several years ago with some friends so have some tasting notes and have kept an interest in the year. Have had a very good experience with Latour and Cos both several times and quite good from Gruaud Larose and disappointing from Margaux several times but i suspect they hadn't been cellared too well but they did come from multiple sources. As for Burgundy, i have had two Leroy's, the Echezeaux and Chapelle Chambertin, both very nice. In summary i think the vintage is in decline, at best still drinking nicely, say in the 93 to 94 point range and at worst over the hill, tired and in the 80's. for me 64 is a better vintage in Bordeaux.
              I have some other 66's in the cellar of which the Montrose looks the most interesting. I should drink them soon so may gather the group back together and revisit the year and if you are still interested i will update. Hope this helps

Comment

I have had good Guaud Larose and Mouton Rothschild as well. Pichon Lalande was good a decade ago. I have read that it is still holding up- a bit of a surprise to me based on what I saw.

I am hopefully going to have the 66 Fonseca in a few weeks for my 47th birthday and will report on that.
                Homer: I have great motivational skills. Everyone says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

Comment

Dear all, 1966 can be tricky yet sometimes sublime. Never had luck with Pomerol, VCC was acidic and thin, Cheval Blanc was very fine a few years back. Mouton Rothschild with Alechinsky label is in front of me as I am typing. 148 313 bottles, 2292 Magnums, 33 grands formats and 3 000 Reserve du Chateau. I had bottle 71405 selection Nicolas very low level, 3 cm below cork, signs of seapage, paid 40 usd ! The wine was gorgeous ! Round, smooth, complex and just great, medium length. On another occasion, after a Latour 70, I opened a mystery bottle to my guest : Ruby color, explosive nose : old leather, sous bois, black truffle, licorice, pot pourri of spices and iron. Just fantastic ! My guest, the owner of a Chateau in Margaux told me : this nose makes me dream ! The cheapest wine of the tasting ! ......... 25 usd in a clearance ! ......... Boyd Cantenac ! Sorry for the long post ! Cheers

Comment

Wadih, many thanks. Good to hear...just got hold of 4 bottles of Dow VP 1966 for a decent price, so I think opening one purely for scientific purposes would be appropriate :-)

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
                    Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
                    No new posts No new posts  
                    Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
                    Working...
                    X