Mark Squires' Bulletin Board on RobertParker.com
Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what did we open for Australia day ?

Usually at this time on a sat night at this time of year, we are out at a Burns Supper, eating Haggis and drinking cheap red wine. This year the dancing was 1 week earlier, so tonight I could stay in, munch on some Australian crisps and try a couple of bottles of Australian wine. The 07 Hungerford Hill Chardonnay may come from a Hunter winery, but the fruit comes from Tumbarumba, which is not far away from my girlfriends home town. The screw cap has kept the wine young, the 12.5% alcohol had kept it from being heavy and the fruit and acidity are well matched. It's a good example of what Australia can do, but I've drunk too much if this kind of wine over the years and 2 glasses were enough. Solid 88pts though. The 00 Lost Valley Shiraz was a step up in quality though. This was the last bottle from a case bought in the UK 11 years or so ago. James Halliday gave good reviews to the Cortese, which I never thought a lot of, but this always head a touch of class. Liquorice, dark cherry, black olive, full bodied and very concentrated. Good wine that will develop further. Long bottles though made it a pain to store in the fridges, so it's time to say goodbye.

Re: So what did we open for Australia day ?

Hi Cameron - Thanks for the notes and for flying the Aussie flag on Australia day. Really embarrassed to confess that I spent Australia day in NZ drinking Kiwi wine! (I'm in NZ for 2 weeks for the NZ Pinot conference in Wellington and now touring wineries.) That said, nearly every day is 'Australia Day' for me when I'm back in Singapore:-) I agree with your comments on the Hungerford Hill Chard. Their style of winemaking for Chard a little 'Old School', esp in 2007. (They're just going through a winemaker change at the moment, so watch-that-space...) Tumbarumba is however an exciting new region of cooler climate Chardonnay. But if you really wanna try some of the extraordinary new Chards coming out of Oz, I'd recommend looking to Margaret River for "wow" factor. They've had a run of great vintages and were perhaps 1st in Oz to adopt the less-is-more approach. In particular, look out for Vasse Felix, Peccavi, Fraser Gallop, Woodlands and Cullen's "Kevin John".
    Lisa Perrotti-Brown MW

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
    Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
    No new posts No new posts  
    Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
    Working...
    X