Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downtown NYC Advice Needed

My wife and I have an extended layover in New York on the way home from Martha's Vineyard, so we are turning a 4 hour layover into a 28 hour one instead. We are staying in Soho for one night and have booked Blue Hill for the first night. We need a suggestion for a fun but excellent downtown restaurant on the 2nd night before heading back to Kennedy. Not looking for a food palace like 11 Madison Park or even Blue Hill and dinner needs to be early (5:30) with fairly brisk service.
    Thanks in advance

Matt
    Last edited by matt teplitz; 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM.
    matthew teplitz

Re: Downtown NYC Advice Needed

just went to buco alimentari e vino the other night. we were all very impressed. noisy, casual, but serious italian food. there are, of course, many others.
    balthazar
    osteria morini
    momofuku noodle or ssam

all should be pretty easy at 5-530

Comment

excellent meal at Morini a few weeks ago...
      "The Daily News asks her for the dope;
      She said, 'Man, the dope's that there's still hope!'"

Comment

Thanks guys!
        matthew teplitz

Comment

Ate at La Silhouette, Ai Fiori and Peasant about two weeks ago. Peasant was the only place that I will go back to again. Very good food at vastly better prices.

http://peasantnyc.com/index.htm
          If I had my way, I'd have all of you shot. In the flesh(II) Pink Floyd

Comment

Thanks Gary.

Anyone been to Raoul's lately? Used to go there when I lived in NY in the late 80's...amazed it's still going, let alone excellent, but I hear it is very good.

Matt
            matthew teplitz

Comment

My wife and I go once a year to celebrate the anniverary of our first date. I first tried it on a trip down from Montreal back in the 70's, so I've been a customer for too many years. It really hasn't changed much over that time --they have had a backroom for awhile, but I'm not sure when it was added. Food is pretty much the same -- good bistro fare; I invariably order steak au poivre. Not the most BYOB friendly place, but the wine list has improved . Still have the painting of the lounging naked women on the main dining area wall.
              Peter

Comment

Thx Peter
                matthew teplitz

Comment

You might want to think about this place, opens at 5:30.

http://tiapol.com/index.html
                  If I had my way, I'd have all of you shot. In the flesh(II) Pink Floyd

Comment

What about NoMad? It's not EMP....more informal, lively but still has displays the EMP touch to its food.
                    Bill

"Fill ev'ryglass, for wine inspires us, And fires us With courage, love and joy. Women and wine should life employ. Is there ought else on earth desirous?." John Gay

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
                    Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
                    No new posts No new posts  
                    Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
                    Working...
                    X