Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menton Boston Ma ??

Looking for input from those that have been.
    We have reservations for the end of the month and are pretty psyched. Cirque de Soleil @ 4:00 and Menton @ 7:30. Susan's birthday spectacular.
    So the question is ... are the wine pairings the way to go??
    there is a side of me that says we are crazy to eat there during the summer as their version of winter fare & big red wines would be right up my alley but... here we go.
    I have to think they are doing things with New England seafood that I cannot even imagine and I live in the heartland of great fresh New england seafood.
    I am babbling, but I am also looking for input as to whether or not to spend a lot of energy with a wine list or just kick back and let them pair??
    The little country mice are making their way to the big city !!!
    thanks for any input
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack Brewer; 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM. Reason: typo again

Re: Menton Boston Ma ??

I haven't been to Menton yet but I have been to all of Barbara Lynch's other restaurants in Boston-No. 9 Park, B&G Oyster, Butcher Shop, Sportello(next door to Menton). One of the highlights for me at each of these places is the wine list.

Cat Silirie is the wine director for all of these restaurants and I really like her selections. I usually try several different wines by the glass because I always find something that is both interesting and pairs well with BL's food. Cat Silirie was just featured in an interview in the most recent Wine Spectator.

So, I haven't seen the bottle list at Menton but I think you will not be disappointed with the suggested pairings.

BTW, I saw Totem last weekend and it is a really good show. Crowd gave a prolonged standing ovation at the end. Better than recent traveling Cirque productions that I have seen recently.

I think this should be a great evening for you. Enjoy

Comment

I would like to see a review of this place. I am a big fan of No.9, and dine there probably 4 times a year and have for probably the past 10 years. But I see little mention of Menton.
      Merrill Lindquist
      EMH Vineyards
      "Black Cat" Cabernet

Comment

Originally posted by Merrill Lindquist
        I would like to see a review of this place. I am a big fan of No.9, and dine there probably 4 times a year and have for probably the past 10 years. But I see little mention of Menton.
        I will give it my best shot, but I am not as prose inclined as others here.
        The reviews on Yelp and other sights range from "over the top fabulous" to "pretty good but more about the service and the image than the food".
        As previously mentioned I have always been a Barbara Lynch advocate partly because of her balance between fine dining and a certain lack of pretentiousness.
        I will report back

Comment

Another huge Barbara Lynch fan here. I have not been to Menton yet, but fellow ebob member Michael Malinoski has, and he raved about it. Hopefully he will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Manley
            Another huge Barbara Lynch fan here. I have not been to Menton yet, but fellow ebob member Michael Malinoski has, and he raved about it. Hopefully he will chime in.
            Maybe we will just have to plan something there, then. I can't get out during the growing season, but mid-October until June is game for me.
            Merrill Lindquist
            EMH Vineyards
            "Black Cat" Cabernet

Comment

I would love to Merrill, as October approaches let's see what we can come up with. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Merrill Lindquist
                We dined at Menton Saturday night. It was a dining experience and also delicious.
                I/we are not used to a 4+ hour dinner. You kinda get "assitiss", to be crass.
                It is an elegant room, minimalist to be sure, but not cold.
                The service was phenomenal. They were very proper to begin, but when they realized that we were willing to laugh and wanted to have a fun meal, were more than willing to relax and interact with us.
                The food: we had the 7 course chef's tasting menu w/ the wine pairings.
                There were 5 different Amuse Bouche prior to the "courses" which we accompanied with NV Aubry 1er Cru Brut, by the glass, a champagne I had never had before but was a wonderful accompaniment. The best of the Amuse Bouche was a striped bass tartare wrapped in a phyllo like pastry topped with caviar. a tiny bite that was packed w/ flavor.
                Four of the seven courses they did 2 different preparations so we could share between ourselves, a very nice touch.
                I overheard our waiter describing a course from the 4 course prix fix menu to the next table that included lamb shoulder confit. I inquired as to wether or not I might be getting that preparation and he smiled and said we would see. We were given an eighth course with a portion of lamb shoulder confit at the end of our savory portion with no extra charge. Another nice touch.
                Two different dessert presentations plus 3 different dessert amuse bouche as you are paying your bill adds up to quite a bit of food, especially because I forgot to mention the bread... you get this little tiny croissant... that must have a pound of butter in each one and then it is coated in honey and ... it is decadently delicious.
                Then the bread dude comes by with 3 different choices that are all wonderful, you know you should not eat them because after all you are doing a seven course menu, but but but they are really good...
                We thoroughly enjoyed the wine pairings.. Was it Chateau Petrus and Montrachet, no, did they work very nicely with the courses, absolutely. There was one glass of a Spanish Godello I could have lived w/o and I am not a huge rose fan but it worked with the Toro & tuna Tartare. There was a delicious 2007 Selvapiana Chianto Rufina "Bucerchiale" that was an amazing match with the duck course. The duck plate was great with the best duck confit I have ever had.
                I had 3 different cheeses w/ on Offley 30 year Tawny Port that was also a very nice compliment.
                The pacing was steady and we were still there for 4+ hours but it was delicious and also a lot of fun and educational. It was also ,for us, a huge amount of $$ but a meal you will remember for a long long time.
                If anybody wants anymore level of detail feel free to Pm me. I would love to say "we will be back" but at the $$ level I am not so sure. By the way if you are staying in Boston it is a very easy walk from The Westin Waterfront Hotel even at 12:30 at night.

Comment

Thank you for the very detailed review Jack, well done! Sounds like a wonderful experience.

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
                  Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
                  No new posts No new posts  
                  Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
                  Working...
                  X