This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use for corked wine

This week I opened a 99 Laurel Lake Cabernet reserve that was tainted with TCA but still had some fruit but not nearly what this wine usually has. I decided to try boiling the wine and making a reduction for a red wine sauce that I have previously made. After a few minutes the TCA disappeared and I added the shallots and other ingredients and the sauce turned out as it normally does. Of course, I would use a $10 bottle to make the sauce but at least the wine was not a total waste. Has anyone tried anything similar?
    Mont
    Mont Stern

Hmmmph. I'm surprised---I'd 've been reluctant to do this for fear of the tca lingering.

Comment

Mark:
      I was a little reluctant to waste any other ingredients which was why I started cooking the wine first and only adding other ingredients after I tasted it and found the TCA was gone. BTW my guest raved about the sauce so I kept it to my self that they were guinea pigs for my salvage for corked wine.
      Mont
      Mont Stern

Comment

When you open a bottle that is TCA tainted, the taint will oxidize and reduce with time. If you want to try to save the taint for others to smell at a later time. Re-cork it with the 'bad' cork immediately. Then you can use it to educate others.

Byron

Comment

Well, I will concede I have never let a wine air out for days etc to see if the TCA taint goes away. But at least ON the table and in the glass, I would say TCA invariably becomes more obvious and worse (for the reason I think that the other, masking components of the wine smooth out and calm down). It sure doesn't go away or lessen.

Are you pointing only to very long term aeration, like days, or generally saying that you think TCA lessens with air, even typical decanting, etc?

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
          Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
          No new posts No new posts  
          Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
          Working...
          X