Mark Squires' Bulletin Board on RobertParker.com
Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Brother´s 40th Birthday: TNs.. Évangile 1974, Rieussec 2001, Beychevelle 1974..

I took my Brother to the local café after having secured the right to bring my own wine into the café.. nice move by the café owner.

Tasted 1st May 2014 with my Brother Jan on his 40th Birthday:

Château L´Évangile 1974, Pomerol, Bordeaux, France: 90 points.
    Wow.. this was unexpected. Our expectations were not big here as even a bottle of La Conseillante 1974, consumed on 24th December 2005, disappointed somewhat; TN here:
    http://www.erobertparker.com/bboard/...ad.php?t=78083.

The color was still dark with light edges and a beginning browning. However, it was evident that the wine was singing big time as the nose exploded out of the glass right away. Classic lush and sexy Pomerol with a very concentrated fruity nose, the taste was long and seductive on the palate and even the finish was adequate, which for a 1974 must be considered really fantastic. I couldn´t find any reason for not giving this wine a 90 point score, which, for a 1974 Bordeaux could possibly be considered quite crazy.. but there it is. Jan agreed with my score, in fact, he was at 91.. this was an unexpectedly big treat and a huge success!

Tasted 3rd May 2014 at a public tasting with my Brother (we brought the bottle ourselves):

Château Rieussec 2001, Sauternes, Bordeaux, France: 95+ points.
    This wine was tasted after a lineup of other sweet wines so there was good context.
    A massive Sauternes. Dark yellow/golden color. Huge concentration and sweetness. Almost oily texture. On the palate very long to say the least. I missed some acidity though, couldn´t detect any acidity at all in fact although I had opened the bottle the night before (this usually helps).
    The taste was awesome- notes of marcipan, cane sugar, caramel, honey, peach, apples. I was impressed but 1. There was a big lack of acidity and 2. The wine seemed somewhat closed- and this annoyed me. Jan was more impressed. His score was 97 points. I have to admit I couldn´t go that high but nevertheless this was a great Sauternes, which I hope the score reflects. And maybe the acidity will show when the wine has aged more.

Tasted 10th May 2014:
    Château Beychevelle 1974, Saint-Julien, Bordeaux, France: 83 points.
    Jan and I tasted another bottle of the Beychevelle 1974 shortly after New Years Eve 2012 and were surprised big time as the wine performed brilliantly, showing great fruit presence, balance and length. We agreed about our 89-point score at the time. This bottle, from the same batch, bought some 2 and a half years ago, was almost on par- but only almost. Because this wine was clearly brown colored and living dangerously close to the edge. But the impressions were those of fine fruit, although going downhill fast, some length, balance between fruit and acidity still okay and
    a short finish.

To sum it up, these Birthday wines were PAME! Especially the Évangile, of which I have another bottle.
    Congratulations Jan, 40 years and still young in spirit..
    Last edited by Steen T. Olsen; 05-15-2014, 04:30 PM.
    "Terroiristes de Léoville"-demands: Clos du Marquis for 5th Growth and Léoville-Las Cases for 1st Growth status.

Tots Units Fem Forca - Mes Que Un Club

Member of "Grumpy Old Grand Cru Bordeaux Men" wine tasting club ;-)

Disclaimer:
    From 8th May 2012 till 26th May 2016, I owned shares of Concha y Toro Winery, Chile.

Re: My Brother´s Birthday: TNs.. Évangile 1974, Rieussec 2001, Beychevelle 1974..

Hi Steen.
    Nice to read, that the 2001 Rieussec was good. Last time I tasted the wine, it had the same feeling like You. I think it was better 5 years ago, and now I actually prefer the 2009 Rieussec.

Best regards
    Johnny

Comment

Re: My Brother´s Birthday: TNs.. Évangile 1974, Rieussec 2001, Beychevelle 1974..

Steen,
      Very nice notes.

Johnny,
      '09 Rieussac is off the charts; great wine.
      Henry Bongiovi

Comment

Johnny and Henry; thank you for the comments!

Johnny, I think I know what you mean now. I haven´t tasted the Rieussec 2009 myself, but the 2005, tasted several times over the past few years, was more to my taste even though I scored it lower than the 2001. I guess the really big thing with the 2001 is the huge concentration and powerful expression even in a rather closed stage. The 2005 is more relaxed but has that acidity, which I totally missed in the 2001.

Henry and Johnny; you make me wish I had bought some Rieussec 2009 as well..
        "Terroiristes de Léoville"-demands: Clos du Marquis for 5th Growth and Léoville-Las Cases for 1st Growth status.

Disclaimer:
        From 8th May 2012 till 26th May 2016, I owned shares of Concha y Toro Winery, Chile.

Comment

Re: My Brother´s 40th Birthday: TNs.. Évangile 1974, Rieussec 2001, Beychevelle 1974..

Congratulations on the Birthday it's always good to have another one.
          The postings recently on the 74 Vintage have been positive. Enjoy your last bottle.

C.R.
          Rochester, Mn. & Brussels, Belgium

Comment

Re: My Brother´s 40th Birthday: TNs.. Évangile 1974, Rieussec 2001, Beychevelle 1974..

Hi Steen. I am going to buy some 2010 cheap - if you Want some then email me.
            Best regards
            Johnny

Comment

My Brother´s 40th Birthday: TNs.. Évangile 1974, Rieussec 2001, Beychevelle 1974..

Schurhammer; thank you for the comment. There have been numerous positive notes on 1974 Bordeauxs recently. I especially remember yours on the Latour 1974, which, in a tasting of several Latour vintages, including the 1990, came in second. A shock to some, I am sure.. however, Latour is one of those sure bets in any vintage, including the disastrous ones. A couple of years ago, a bottle of Latour 1965, which I gave to my Sister as a birth year wine long ago, performed rather brilliantly. Another testament to the brilliance of Chateau Latour..
              As for the L´Évangile 1974; my Brother was very happy indeed with this wine. His favorite Pomerol is La Conseillante but the L´Évangile was spectacular on the day and on par with a good vintage La Conseillante.

Disclaimer:

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
              Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
              No new posts No new posts  
              Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
              Working...
              X