Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Warre Vintage vs 1980 Royal Oporto Colheita

Mark rhapsodized some time ago about the colheitas he had been sampling, so when I was in Lisbon last summer I picked up a 1980 Royal Oporto to try. Consider it an entry level - certainly not a prestige label like Taylor. We enjoyed it greatly, off and on, for 6 months, and finished it last week. It was impressively consistent and did not deteriorate. I missed that experience and on Sunday opened a 1991 Warre Vintage that I have cellared since about 1995. We had a glass last night, after it breathed 4 hours, and another tonight.

The 1980 colheita is about $50, the 1991 Warre vintage is about $55.

The colheita is MUCH more enjoyable - more elegant, complex, silky, and lasting. The Warre vintage, which at 23 should be starting to mature, is lighter, less complex, less interesting in both nose and mouth, and will almost certainly not continue to provide pleasure in small doses, as did the colheita, for the next 6 months - I expect it to run its course within the week. Perhaps it will come into its own 10-20 years from now.

The 1977 Royal Oporto colheita is available for $45. Looks good to me.

Re: 1991 Warre Vintage vs 1980 Royal Oporto Colheita

Colheitas are amazingly versatile...but 6 months! Wow. That beats my record.

The 77 is very nice at that price. Royal Oporto (Real Companhia Velha) is not the most profound maker, but there is some good stuff and the prices are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Squires
      (...) Royal Oporto (Real Companhia Velha) is not the most profound maker, but there is some good stuff and the prices are right.
      Kind words ... agree. However, taste the 1925 Grandjó !

Guilherme

Comment

Every time I stare at my bottles of Vintage Port I end up saying "not yet." Sooner or later I am going to have to open some.
        David M. Bueker

No matter how closely I study it,
        No matter how I take it apart,
        No matter how I break it down,
        It remains consistent.

Comment

David

The 1991 Warre improved considerably after 3 days in a large glass-topped decanter, but it was still not as impressive or pleasant as the 1980 colheita. If you try one that is about 20 years of age, you might want to open it several days in advance.

Comment

I would likely dip back into my small stash from the '70s, but thanks for the note.
            David M. Bueker

No matter how closely I study it,
            No matter how I take it apart,
            No matter how I break it down,
            It remains consistent.

Comment

Drink colheitas, old mature vintages, or not so old but lighter vintages; while the great younger Vintages take shape.

The Taylor's Vargellas and Terra Feita from 91 drank beautifully for more than 10 years. Then, shutted down a bit.
              Graham's 91 and Niepoort 91 were almost all the time more tight and closed.
              Maybe could be reaching maturity plateau by now ... ?

Guilherme

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
              Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
              No new posts No new posts  
              Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
              Working...
              X