Mark Squires' Bulletin Board on RobertParker.com
Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrus-Margaux-La Mission-La Fleur Petrus?

I have a special confluence of events to celebrate.Both my sons college graduation and my 60th birthday fall on the same day.I am truly blessed and want to open a few of the bottles below to celebrate.
    I am looking for guidance since these are all great choices.
    1961 La Mission
    1961 La Fleur Petrus
    1990 Margaux
    1989 Petrus
    1990 Petrus
    1982 Mouton
    1985 La Tache
    1952 Drouhin Musigny
    1990 Rayas
    1988 La Mouline
    I would appreciate any recommendations.
    Thank you kindly!

Re: Petrus-Margaux-La Mission-La Fleur Petrus?

Of all those wines, the only 2 that I have tasted and liked enormously are the Petrus 1989 and the Mouton 1982. They are unforgettable. Margaux 1990, I was not impressed. The other wines unfortunately I don't know.
    Enjoy! Happy birthday!
    Giuseppe Ciardi
    DISCLOSURE: I am a wine consumer, I like to drink well and get good value for money. I like Bordeaux because it is the only region I know a little bit of. I love good wine and I like to share it with friends. I buy retail from merchants, en primeur as well as mature stock. I found myself in an unpredictable situation when the prices shot up. So, now I try to buy 2 cases to drink one and sell the other at a premium later to lower my cost of drinking.

Comment

Congratulations Jay. I haven't had a single wine on that list, so I have no particular advice to give, but what a marvelous occasion. Have a great time with your boys
      A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Comment

I've only had the 82 Mouton, which did not blow me away, and other 61's, so I do not speak from much personal experience, but if I had the choice, I would open the 85 La Tache and the 90 Rayas, then either the 89 or the 90 Petrus. (Why not both, I ask myself - always easier to play with someone else's bottles!) They should all be at the top of their vigorous games. I would be surprised if the 52 Musigny were still in good shape, but it might be - all depends on provenance. 10 years ago a 52 Latour was a faint and delicate, rather ladylike shadow of a wine - all lace, no punch.

Comment

82 Mouton is mindblowen. It is a baby and infant and now no older than 4yrs today. It's a toddler at best. This wine will out live all of us over 50...LOL if you open this or 86 today I suggest you decant it for 24hrs at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Opperman
            I have a special confluence of events to celebrate.Both my sons college graduation and my 60th birthday fall on the same day.I am truly blessed and want to open a few of the bottles below to celebrate.
            I am looking for guidance since these are all great choices.
            1961 La Mission
            1961 La Fleur Petrus
            1990 Margaux
            1989 Petrus
            1990 Petrus
            1982 Mouton
            1985 La Tache
            1952 Drouhin Musigny
            1990 Rayas
            1988 La Mouline
            I would appreciate any recommendations.
            Thank you kindly!
            1961 La Mission is one of the greatest wines I've ever tasted, and is in a beautiful place. Never had the 61 La Fleur Petrus but that would be an exciting comparison to make. 1990 Rayas is also ready to go, and while a bottle I had in the Southern Rhone seemed to have years ahead of it, by all accounts everyone seems to think that bottles in the USA have peaked. What a nice list of wines to choose between!

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
            Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
            No new posts No new posts  
            Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
            Working...
            X