Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '02 Varner PN, SCM, Spring Ridge Vd, Hidden Block

I'm really glad I found the Hidden Block! It actually wasn't hidden, found it in plain sight at a retailer (don't remember, but probably Ralph's in Woodside, CA) a few years ago.

I'm drinking the last few ounces left over from a dinner 72 hours ago. Post based on both memory and current flavors.

This is a brilliant wine. Medium dark ruby color. Aromas are young and primary, yet have that sous-bois character so prized in Burgundy and so rare in CA PN. Above the sous-bois, black cherry predominates, followed by red raspberry. On the palate, black cherry is to the fore, with both earthiness and mineral elements and a subtle but integrated and wonderful note of conifer (is this balsam? are there even balsams in the Santa Cruz Mountains?). A wine of no more than moderate weight, but with great intensity, great balance, great subtlety of harmonious flavors, and in general just plain great. Rated 95.19.

This was my only bottle ! My guess is that it will not improve, or not by much, but will change in intricate and unknown ways over the next decade or two. Wines with this balance have this potential! I'm going to hunt for a few more. Probably can't find (and if I can, can't easily afford) the two cases I'd really like to own. These folks are making wonderful wines.

Dan Kravitz
    Swillmaster (itb)
    www.handpickedselections.com

Re: '02 Varner PN, SCM, Spring Ridge Vd, Hidden Block

Originally posted by Dan Kravitz
    I'm really glad I found the Hidden Block! It actually wasn't hidden, found it in plain sight at a retailer (don't remember, but probably Ralph's in Woodside, CA) a few years ago.

I'm drinking the last few ounces left over from a dinner 72 hours ago. Post based on both memory and current flavors.

This is a brilliant wine. Medium dark ruby color. Aromas are young and primary, yet have that sous-bois character so prized in Burgundy and so rare in CA PN. Above the sous-bois, black cherry predominates, followed by red raspberry. On the palate, black cherry is to the fore, with both earthiness and mineral elements and a subtle but integrated and wonderful note of conifer (is this balsam? are there even balsams in the Santa Cruz Mountains?). A wine of no more than moderate weight, but with great intensity, great balance, great subtlety of harmonious flavors, and in general just plain great. Rated 95.19.

This was my only bottle ! My guess is that it will not improve, or not by much, but will change in intricate and unknown ways over the next decade or two. Wines with this balance have this potential! I'm going to hunt for a few more. Probably can't find (and if I can, can't easily afford) the two cases I'd really like to own. These folks are making wonderful wines.

Dan Kravitz
    The Varner brothers are true Vignerons, which isn't something you find all that often in California. Hard to find two guys so committed to a site, its microclimates, and non-interventionist winemaking. I've preferred their Chard to the Pinot, but perhaps I need to be more patient with the Pinot.

Comment

shh..everyone knows about the chards. I'd like to keep the pinot a secret

Comment

I believe the 2002 was the first vintage for this fine PN..........
        Varner ROCKS

TTT
        "Opinot, Not Oporto"

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
        Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
        No new posts No new posts  
        Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
        Working...
        X