This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun fact - Champagne bubbles

Was watching ABC World News Now today. They did a brief story on the French physicist Gerard Liger-Belair, who worked with Moet & Chandon to determine the origin of champagne bubbles.

Where champagne bubbles come from...

Turns out dust is shaped like penne, through which the lighter CO2 gases draw on their way to the champagne's surface. He showed no bubbles formed in a dustless environment. Another good reason to obsess less about your flutes.

Cheers & Happy New Year!
    - Lily Tsai Phillips

Me like wine, too

Interesting article...

Mark
    -----
    Mark Christenson
    www.motleycru.com
    "I'm just so sick of pedants and conceited little tearer-downers, I could scream." Franny and Zooey

Comment

Lily,

I heard this story last night, too. I had no idea that this subject would be worthy of such high level investigation. Really takes the romance out of the bubbles!

Beth
      Beth Sheligo
      http://www.germanwinesociety.org

Comment

Beth,

On the contrary, scientific investigation, to some anyway, provides a description but never a fundamental explanation. It just allows for more in depth appreciation. In fact the romance might be seen as being increased all the more, knowing that something as ubiquitous as dust particles play a part in making champagne 'light up.' That seems lovely to me. 'Sort of like understanding how the 'bending' of light can lead to the appearance of a rainbow...the rainbow is no less beautiful for the knowing, just more faceted.

Happy New Year,
        "The first duty of wine is to be Red . . . the second is to be a Burgundy." --Harry Waugh

Comment

Quote by Beth:

Lily,

I heard this story last night, too. I had no idea that this subject would be worthy of such high level investigation. Really takes the romance out of the bubbles!

Beth
          Only if you let it!

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
          Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
          No new posts No new posts  
          Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
          Working...
          X