Home User Control Panel Members List FAQ Search Mark Forums Read
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Microclimate in Montalcino

Was hoping someone could help clarify this for me once and for all as i am not entirely sure i have the right understanding.

As far as i understand, there are four different microclimates in Montalcino, depending on where in the appellation the vinyards are located. I assume this means, all else being equal, that there should be four different types of brunello produced, each being impacted by their respective microclimate (this offcause is only in theory, as winemaking differs)

My question is how much does the microclimate really matter for the final product in the bottle? and if one wanted to try a "traditional" Brunello from each microclimate that were made in a similar way so as to let the "terroir" and climate show through as much as possible which producers/bottlings should one try out? (looking for 1-2 typical brunello from each microclimate) Is such a thing even possible or is the winemaking and choice of oak etc. from each producer of too paramount importance relative to the impact of the climate?

I think this is very interesting and i would like to taste a diverse portfolio of brunello's so im hoping someone can chime in with an opinion

Re: Question regarding Microclimate in Montalcino

Mattias, this is an interesting and complicated topic. Montalcino is quite a large area and there are many different soil types and microclimates. As you said excessive intervention in winemaking can overshadow the differences in terroirs, however a minimalistic approach can help in understanding the differences. Also another thing to keep in mind, many wineries have plots in the different areas and often blend.
    I will try to suggest a couple of wineries from the different areas that make traditional style brunello:
    North - North West : Baricci , Il marroneto
    North East : Cerbaiona, La Fornacina
    South West : Caprili, Fattoi
    South East : Poggio di Sotto, Mastrojanni
    These are just a few wineries off the top of my head. There are also many other areas to consider, I have to get ready for dinner though....
    ITB Brunello Producer

Comment

Dear Riccardo,

Thanks a lot that is precisely the kind of info i am after. I realize that it is difficult to simplify as i try to do, but i think the experiment is nice to try and seek out these different brunello's and compare them.

Unfortunately, most of the producers you mention are not readily available at my location except Cerbaiona and Poggio Sotto, but on my next trip to Italy i will try and seek these out.

Comment

Off the top of my head I believe Ciacci/Uccelliera Southeast, Col D'Orcia Southwest, Pertimali/Altesino Northeast

Comment

Taylor, thanks. Al your suggestions except Pertimali are available to me so that is a great help. thanks.

Is the general concept that the southern Montalcino is lower in elevation and warmer, thereby making more fruity, alcoholic wines whereas the higher elevations in the north with cooler climate are more elegant, feminine wines?

I love a good BDM!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias Hansen
            Taylor, thanks. Al your suggestions except Pertimali are available to me so that is a great help. thanks.

Is the general concept that the southern Montalcino is lower in elevation and warmer, thereby making more fruity, alcoholic wines whereas the higher elevations in the north with cooler climate are more elegant, feminine wines?

I love a good BDM!
            Yes, but then you have the exceptions like Col D'Orcia, due to elevation. But the basic Brunello formula is this:

Q = 1/D

Q - quality
            D - distance from Biondi-Santi
            ITB

Comment

For South-Central = Sesta di Sopra

Comment

Thread started by an RobertParker subscriberThread started by an RobertParker subscriber
              Thread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewerThread has a post by a Wine Advocate reviewer
              No new posts No new posts  
              Closed Thread Thread is closed Thread Contains a Message Written By You You have posted in this thread
              Working...
              X